Teachers, Parents, Students and All Others

This site is here to explore and present optical illusions. If you have any suggestions to improve this site or a particular illusion you would like researched and presented here, please contact me.

If you have self-created illusions that you or your class brought to life, contact me and I will let them live here for all to enjoy.

If you are 13 years old or younger and wish to have your work displayed here please talk with your parents and have them send it to me with their permission.

Tuesday

Photograph Optical Illusions

There are many ways to create an optical illusion. Digitally manipulating a photograph using software such as Photoshop or Gimp creates convincing images, but like special effects in the movies you know they are fake.

There are ways to setup true photographic optical illusions without altering or "faking" the image. Take the following actual photo as an example.


Chess Anyone?
(c)2002
Tim Jensen
Used w/permission


This modern photograph is reminiscent of Sandro Del Prete's famous illusion drawing "Impossible Chess Set" below.


Impossible Chess Set
Sandro Del Prete
(c) 1975



So how do you think the photo "Chess Anyone?" was accomplished?

One key to photographic illusions is the fact that photos are 2 dimensional images of 3 dimensional objects. This means most photo illusions would fall apart if you saw them first hand. If you wish to see the Chess Anyone illusion from an angle that will reveal how it was accomplished place your mouse over the below reveal screen.


Chess Anyone? Revealed
(c)2002
Tim Jensen
Used w/permission


For a complete tutorial on how this photographic optical illusion was done read Tim Jensen's explanation here.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Optical illusions are cool. I'm the only one in my class who knows a thing about them. And is the person who left the comment before me, like, a robot or seomething??

Raspberry Squirt said...

I love Optical Illusions!

Emwekinz said...

Hey, I think Optical Illusions are really cool! We are learning about them in class at the moment, and they are really interesting!

Anonymous said...

preety much all chess

Anonymous said...

I think that illusions are realy cool, even when you do them yourself

Anonymous said...

These Are All Stupid My Opinion..

Anonymous said...

Kool Giv Meh Calk.

Anonymous said...

I love optical illusions!!!!!!!!!!!!! my music teacher showed us some, and the only one who understood any of them, right away, was me!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG LEG

Anonymous said...

this would work great for my students

Anonymous said...

I love optical illusions! This is one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

cool I love illusions and no one i know thinks they are as cool as I think they are!! am i alone in enjoying them so much?

Anonymous said...

i didn't like the optical illusions on your website because it is really dumb and is all about chess and chess set. i hate your website to the core ,please do not post it to the net ever again .i am really sorry but this is what i really think!

Anonymous said...

I'm Trying to find some other websites for optical Illutions but there aren't that many:(

Cesar said...

This is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love this site. Not only the content but the focus as well. Thanks for sharing such wonderful information.

Anonymous said...

Are there more like this??? I always want more illusions.

Anonymous said...

No u are


Copyright Notice
The documents distributed here have been presented on this blog in the spirit of providing an entertaining venue to educate those interested in optical illusions.

All Flckr.com photos are presented here via Flckr's "blog this" feature. This feature is enabled by each artist on Flckr. If you find material here that belongs to you and you would like to have it removed or credited please contact me and I will gladly follow your wishes.

Copyright and all rights therein are maintained by the authors or by other copyright holders. It is understood that all persons copying this information will adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. These works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.